Lori R. Lopez
Lori R. Lopez wears many hats, literally and otherwise. She dips her pen in Speculative Fiction, Horror, Fantasy, and any number of genres combined. A resident of Southern California, she is an author, poet, artist, actress, songwriter, musician; also an activist for conservation, children and animal rights. You can find her “Poetic Reflections” column at Fairy Fly Entertainment, a website shared with two talented sons.
Lori has received various honors for her writing and art. She was named on an Examiner.com list of “92 HORROR AUTHORS YOU NEED TO READ RIGHT NOW” for WOMEN IN HORROR MONTH 2014, and was featured on Horror Addicts and Promote Horror.com for WOMEN IN HORROR MONTH 2015. She unapologetically takes pride in creatively bending and reshaping the rules of writing when it suits her style.
Lori is the author of THE DARK MISTER SNARK, ODDS AND ENDS: A DARK COLLECTION, CHOCOLATE-COVERED EYES, AN ILL WIND BLOWS, THE MACABRE MIND OF LORI R. LOPEZ, POETIC REFLECTIONS: THE QUEEN OF HATS, DANCE OF THE CHUPACABRAS, OUT-OF-MIND EXPERIENCES, THE FAIRY FLY, MONSTROSITIES, JUGULAR and more.
Her stories and verse have appeared on Hellnotes and Halloween Forevermore, Servante Of Darkness and Verto Publishing; in THE HORROR ZINE MAGAZINE, THE SIRENS CALL E-Zine and anthologies such as JOURNALS OF HORROR: FOUND FICTION, DEAD HARVEST, HWA POETRY SHOWCASE VOLUME II, TERROR TRAIN I and II, TOYS IN THE ATTIC: A COLLECTION OF EVIL PLAYTHINGS, CURSED CURIOSITIES, CELLAR DOOR III: ANIMALS (Editor’s Choice Award winner), BONES II, UNDEAD LEGACY, GHOSTS: REVENGE, WE ARE DUST AND SHADOW, INDIANA HORROR REVIEW 2014, MIRAGES: TALES FROM AUTHORS OF THE MACABRE, MASTERS OF HORROR: DAMNED IF YOU DON’T, DARLINGS OF DECAY, I BELIEVE IN WEREWOLVES, THIRSTY ARE THE DAMNED, and SCARE PACKAGE: 14 TALES OF TERROR. Fifteen of Lori’s poems were published for an anthology titled IN DARKNESS WE PLAY.
You can find Lori and her work in the following places:
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/author/lorirlopez
YouTube (band): http://www.youtube.com/fairyfly
Poetry Column: http://fairyflyentertainment.com/category/category/poetic-reflections
The Dark Mister Snark
There are those individuals we know little about who skulk and creep delightfully across page or screen. In reality, we are taught to avoid them. Sometimes, however, they may surprise us. The Dark Mister Snark is such a figure. Beware!
“Candidly lurking in the shadiest of places, a fellow whose mask wore the gruesomest faces, the dark Mister Snark might be tiptoeing after — shunning the sun and the mirthfullest laughter, spying and shying from your backward stares, following to catch you in complete unawares!”
Narrated by witty rhymes that spin the tangled threads of solitude and acceptance, this book tells the tale of a mysterious man prone to stalking through shadows. Is he misunderstood or mad? A villain or an anti-hero?
His secrets will be revealed in humorous and touching verse, with Halloween and Edgar Allan Poe among the themes. You will not look at corn or crows the same. And once read, you could find Mister Snark watching you from every dark place! Available in E-book format. Look for an illustrated print edition featuring peculiar artwork by the author, Lori R. Lopez.
What terrors lurk in the blackest regions of a cellar, amidst dusty cobwebbed shelves, in the glass jars and metal cans of a hopelessly abnormal mind? These odds and ends are both odd and contain endings. As in the real world, not everything ends well. Sometimes it is all about finding a glimmer of light in the shadows, or being forewarned. Sometimes, the candle’s flame blows out!
The Macabre Mind Of Lori R. Lopez: Thirteen Tormentous Tales
1. Heartbeat: After the Zombie Apocalypse, civilization adapts to troubled times. Can the living and the undead co-exist in peace? A zombie defender must question his principles when a hunter becomes infected by the zombie plague and threatens the boy’s mother.
2. The Wraith: A woman becomes intrigued by a brooding figure in one of her poems. She thinks she sees him everywhere she goes, an elusive presence. Is she going mad or is he really stalking her? Find out the twisted truth in an eerie tale that begins and ends with the haunting verse from which the phantom emerged.
3. Next Door: Have you ever wondered about your neighbors? A teen learns the terrible truth about the house next door in this comically chilling Halloween fright-fest.
4. Creep: What terror lurks behind the fence in an ordinary neighborhood? What manner of monster will you see if you peek through a knothole? Something ugly. Something angry. Something with a very large appetite. Take a peek, go ahead. And then run back the way you came!!! You do not want to reach the end of the fence . . .
5. Some Thing: A tongue-in-cheek tale about a man who drank the water, another man and his bazooka, and a lady with a loaded gun. Brought together in a showdown between paranoia and reality, three once-ordinary lives will never be the same. This horror fable is based on an actual environmental hazard along the Mexican border and the potential for disaster.
6. Macabre: A young woman’s dream of independence is challenged when her parents depart and she must face her Night Frights. But she is never completely alone, for always the rickety windmill’s presence haunts her. And what is in the house with her, playing games, chewing the furniture? Will she ever be able to outrun her fears?
7. Horrendus: A demonic entity will return at Midnight on All Hallows Eve to claim the lives of a child from each family. A young woman scoffs at the legend and invokes the monster’s rage. She must face the truth and stand up to him alone to save her village.
8. Backlash: A very troubled man seeks professional help for his hang-ups, compulsions and phobias. But who needs help more, him or the doctor?
9. Fossil: Wellsby Manor has a history of bloodshed, built upon the grave of an evil entity who tormented and ate Stone Age humans then infected the soil for ages. His brutal presence inhabits the mansion, terrifying and slaughtering its occupants. Tobias Pallberry now intends to conduct a seance to contact the spirits of the dead. Those who attend must face a wild night of fright as The Bone Man awakens.
10. Chameleon: A furious woman tracks down the other girlfriends of the guy who broke her heart. A morality tale about a “Prince Charming” whose charm is spread a little thin. Some people just aren’t who they seem . . .
11. The Lycaning: PARTS ONE AND TWO: This is not your traditional wolfman tale. An inventive and original take on a horror classic, THE LYCANING creates a new breed of the monster and a society transformed by a Werewolf Apocalypse. PART TWO delves deeper into the origins of character and plot. Secrets are revealed. Werewolves, humans, and were-zombies clash.
12. Unnatural: A Thin Man wanders into a world of trouble after the carnival that was his home goes bust. Adrift and alone, missing his sideshow friends, things get pretty freaky when he accepts a job for a doctor who isn’t as nice as he seems. The oddities in his barn may bite!
13. Bloodpath: After striking something in the road with his truck, a man follows drops of blood through the forest to a mysterious settlement. Will he be able to save the young woman held prisoner by a primitive band of creatures with large feet?
The print edition contains original artwork by the author.
THE MACABRE MIND OF LORI R. LOPEZ received HONORABLE MENTION in Horror from the 2014 Halloween Book Festival.